Friday, January 23, 2009

Silliness and exposure

As Valentine's Day is coming (which also happens to be Alexander's 11th birthday), I suppose this is the ideal time to expose one the most vulnerable parts of my personality as my mind turns to hearts and flowers. Of course, anyone who knows me well knows this isn't exactly something I keep hidden. I am a steadfast, faithful, unshakable, pathetic romantic. I am far and away too easy to please, too easily charmed, too easily and completely seduced. I have known this about myself since I was quite, quite young and it has caused me many moments of pain and joy in my lifetime. I am happy enough with this portion of myself to not allow it to change. I guard carefully against cynicism and try hard to not let shame and embarassment jade the happiness it can bring me. I like manly men. I love feminine women. I am traditional. I am a complete and utter sucker. Joe calls me his Hallmark Girl and I think he counts himself lucky that I am so easily made happy. Give me flowers and I purr like a kitten. Truly my favorite are very old novels and stories, but since this medium does not lend itself to sharing passages of books without it taking a great deal of time, allow me to share my favorite romantic movie scenes. Watch these and you will know something deep and abiding about me. Its not complicated nor intellectual. But its me. I highly recommend these movies, but in particular these scenes are favorites of mine. A little taste of my complex mind gone simple. I really am a simpleton when it comes to men and romance. I know it is silly, but I can't get enough of it.... The words, the mood, the sweetness and purity that comes with falling in love. The intense desire, the childlike faith...and of course the music and the words, which move me deeply...

Enjoy.



Jane Eyre 2006



Ice Castles 1976 (The one that started it all I think)



Phantom of the Opera (The one that most reminds me of Joe)



Sense and Sensibility (Too many moments in this particular movie to record!)





Okay, enough schmoozing :)

1 comment:

Gberger said...

I am also a romantic...and it's nice to see that, after all we've both been through, that it still is there within. Loved the glimpse into your favorite scenes. God bless you!