Thursday, April 10, 2008




This is a picture of all of the grandkids (and one great granddaughter) on my father's side of the family. I got to see them all at my Grandpa's funeral. It was the first time in over 20 years that all of us have managed to be in the same place at the same time. It was a really special time, getting to see all of them again, saying farewell together to the patriarch of our family. I had the great honor of writing and delivering Grandpa's eulogy. It was so moving for me, to get to publically proclaim my memories and my farewell. I have become a bit of the "funeral girl" in the family. My aunts jokingly told me I would be responsible from here forward for everyone's eulogies. I said I probably ought to write them all before they die and send it to them, so that they can know beforehand how I feel about them and what I remember. We had a good laugh over it. Honestly, I love to write and I love to do public speaking. But getting so many accolades over eulogies feels wrong and I was a little embarassed by the attention it got me.

I have been doing better since I got back from Nebraska. Seeing my family did my heart so much good, like touching a part of my past. I have no idea why it comforted me as much as it did. But I have felt more settled, more accepting and more spiritually sound since I returned. So much so that I have toyed with what it might be like if we were to move up there. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of jobs in small town USA for folks who just want to up and move there. Maybe when I am a nurse...

No comments: